Eastern Massachusetts’ free, home-delivered meals and nutrition program for the critically ill seeks a “hands-on” Chef Manager who is quality driven and passionate about food. Over the past 27 years, Community Servings has prepared and delivered more than 7 million meals to the homebound and critically ill.
Reporting to the Executive Chef, the Chef Manager is responsible for daily kitchen operations including the preparation and cooking of the highest quality, nutritionally balanced meals for the clients of Community Servings. This responsibility includes the preparation of regular and special diet meals, food safety and sanitation, employee safety, inventory management, and staff supervision.
- Manage daily kitchen operations including the preparation, cooking, packaging, handling and storage of daily meals and bags.
- Manage the kitchen staff’s performance and promote a positive team-oriented work environment.
- Perform cooking as necessary while maintaining knowledge of all preparation stations.
- Ensure that the regular and special diet meals produced are of the highest quality and nutritionally balanced based on taste, visual observation, and other sensory assessment.
- Work with Executive Chef to develop culturally diverse menus.
- Provide Executive Chef with daily procurement requirements.
- Ensure compliance with Agency and federal and state government food handling and storage regulations through the enforcement of sanitation and ServSafe food handling procedures and the completion of all forms and logs in a timely and correct manner.
- Ensure kitchen staff is oriented and trained (e.g. cooking procedures, recipes, equipment location, food handling, special diets, safety procedures, etc.).
- Serve as a role model to the kitchen staff by maintaining high personal standards regarding timeliness, integrity, attendance, work ethic, interfacing with staff and volunteers, and complying with Agency policies and practices.
- Five (5) or more years experience in varied kitchen operations including production (High volume/Batch cooking) or institutional settings and at least three (3) to five (5) years of supervisory experience
- Exceptional people skills and proven ability to build a high performing team of employees and volunteers
- ServSafe Certified. Strong knowledge about food handling, food safety and safety procedures.
- Computer skills and a positive, mature management style
- Exceptional time management skills
- Ability to speak Spanish is a plus