Development & Communications Intern
Collaborating with seasoned professionals, the Development and Communications Intern will assist the full Development and Communications team to be successful as the organization plans an ambitious fall. This internship will provide a well-rounded introduction to nonprofit development strategy, operations, and research.
In this role, the intern will assist with preparing biographical sketches, asset information, and philanthropic insights to help fundraisers remain engaged with the most compelling prospective donors. The intern will also utilize SalesForce for enter data according to the Development Office’s data entry and management practices and will assist the Communications Office with social media, idea vetting and keeping the team updated on our national sister agencies’ initiatives. The intern will assist with a host of other activities and responsibilities insofar as these provide possibilities for learning and personal growth and further the mission of the team This position is an ideal opportunity for an individual wanting to gain solid professional skills while jump starting a career in development and communications.
This internship is for summer 2019 and is unpaid.
- Write brief or extended biographical sketches to include analyses of asset information.
- Investigate the potential for new sources of information.
- Create and maintain database donor records: Enter useful data and gifts into the Development Office database (SalesForce) and help to maintain the database’s accuracy.
- Prepare idea reports on social media for the Communications Office to set short-term strategy.
- Enhance donor records through proactive research and data entry.
- Assist with taking pictures of volunteers in the kitchen and our job training participants, and maintaining our photo library
- Manage marketing collateral inventory for the agency
- Research and add to existing database of influencers, bloggers, and local food writers
- Index and upload key development correspondence
- Assist at special events, when needed
- Assist with special event invitations, solicitations, and fulfillment mailings
- Up to one years’ related work experience required.
- Strong written communication skills.
- Ability to display creativity, exercise sound judgment, and demonstrate initiative.
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
Competency Development Opportunities:
Decision Making: Ability to make decisions based on specific instructions, standard practices and established procedures that generally require little or no supervision.
Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are routine, somewhat repetitive and generally solved by following clear directions and procedures and by identifying opportunities for process improvements.
Independence of Action: Ability to follow general instructions and procedures as provided. Work is monitored by supervisor/manager.
Written Communications: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with staff.
Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate basic knowledge of fundamental concepts, practices and procedures with the ability to use them in routine situations. Specialized knowledge not required.
Team Work: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas, identifying issues, and respecting team members.
Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to visitors, staff and external constituents in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Light work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force frequently to move objects. Some elements of the job are sedentary, but the employee will be required to stand for periods of time or move throughout the Community Servings Food Campus.