Special Events Manager
Community Servings Seeks a dynamo for a Special Events Manager
Community Servings is greater Boston’s home delivered meal program for the critically ill. We have a local and national reputation for delivering high quality, medically tailored made from scratch meals. And for producing cost effective, logistically complicated events.
Pie in the Sky is our annual peer to peer fundraiser that is in its 25th year which has been nationally replicated. Each year we raise unrestricted dollars for Community Servings so that we can prepare and deliver 675,000 made from scratch, medically tailored meals to critically and chronically ill residents. Pie in the Sky is our annual event where individuals buy pies to enjoy at Thanksgiving. Each pie purchased for $30, provides a weeks’ worth of meals to one of our clients. This year we expect to break all records and sell 25,000 pies throughout eastern Massachusetts.
Additionally, our annual gala, LifeSavor has been nationally copied because of its uniqueness and exceptional guest experience. For 25 years we have hosted the event where 850 guests join us for a lavish cocktail party and then, in groups of 10, enjoy a gourmet dinner with wine pairings at one of 80 premier Boston restaurants. We pride ourselves on spending less than 10% to produce the event.
Reporting to the Director of Development & Communications, but working closely with the entire development team. The Special Events Manager will help plan, support and implement LifeSavor and Pie in the Sky, Community Servings two signature events and 6-12 smaller fundraising and cultivation events. Primary responsibilities are to produce our cultivation events and fundraising parties and often to be the initial contact for development volunteers and donors to Community Servings. Additionally, the Special Events Manager will develop an overall events strategy, including timeline, volunteer recruitment, development and management, coordination and solicitation of donated goods & services, and prepares income and expense budgets. The Event Manager works in concert with the Director of Development & Communications to ensure events are successful, professionally managed, are a rewarding volunteer experience, and importantly stay within our board mandated cost ratio of 10% or less.
- Manage all aspects of fundraising events
- Create and maintain timelines and project plans
- Recruit and manage event planning committee members
- Identify & solicit potential event donors
- Manage support staff and peers
- Recruit, retain and manage events intern
- Coordinate with communications team to create and implement event marketing plan
- Manage and steward event donors
- Manage in-kind and sponsorship solicitations
- Manage and maintain volunteer relationships
- Schedule, attend, and track activities for committee meetings
- Ensure that event-related donations and information are properly tracked in event databases, and master fundraising database
- Ensure that event-related payments are collected, report financial results to the planning committee DOD and CDO
- Research and identify new opportunities for event fundraising
- Work with DOD, CDO and CEO to plan and execute donor cultivation events.
- Ensure that all Capital Campaign related events (cultivation, house parties, ground breaking and ribbon cutting) are executed within the strategy defined.
- BA/BS and 5-7 years experience preferably in a non-profit
- Exemplary organizational, time-management, and project management skills with meticulous attention to detail
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, including demonstrated confidence and poise in front of donors and high-level volunteers
- Ability to set priorities and manage multiple tasks and deadlines simultaneously
- Solid computer skills, including Microsoft Office Suite and SalesForce. Database experience a plus
- Previous volunteer management experience preferred
- Previous experience in recruiting in-kind donations and managing vendor relationships preferred
- Night and weekend work required before and during select events
- Commitment to diversity and serving diverse constituents