Black Eye Pea Soup Recipe
Black-eyed peas are traditionally eaten in the American South on New Years Day for good luck. This recipe is un-traditional, but delicious! Curry powder, lime, and cilantro are packed with flavor without the salt and fat of the salt pork typically used. Try using dried beans, which are lower in salt than canned and more economical. Heres to a healthy and lucky New Year!
- 1.25 cups dried black-eyed peas
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- .5 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon each: cumin, curry powder
- .5 teaspoon salt
- 2 cloves garlic
- 6 cups water
- Juice of 1 lime
- .25 cup chopped cilantro
1. Place beans in a pot of water and bring to a boil. Let boil for 2 minutes then let sit for 1 hour. Drain and rinse beans.
2. Heat oil in the same pot. Add onion, carrots, spices and salt. Cook, stirring often, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, cook for 1 minute.
3. Add drained beans and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook for about 20 minutes, or until beans are tender. Add more water if the beans look dry.
4. Carefully ladle ﾽ the soup into a blender and puree. (You can skip this if you dont have a blender). Return to the pot and heat thoroughly.
5. Stir in lime juice and cilantro.