Prep Cook (Packaging Kitchen)
Join a passionate team who is committed to the Mission of healing people through the power of food. We offer excellent benefits and meaningful work to our Team Members. The Prep Cook provides packaging, food preparation and general operational support to the Packaging Kitchen Manager.
- With other kitchen staff and volunteers, provides hands-on assembly and packaging of meals including entrees, side dishes, desserts, and vegetables. Correctly prepares food served following recipes and/or oral instruction and special diet orders
- Assists in regular and special diet meal production by packaging, sealing, and bagging meals as daily volume and kitchen operations dictate
- Monitors safety and sanitation practices as well as those of volunteers assigned to work area
- Informs the Packaging Kitchen Manager if safety and sanitation practices are substandard
- Ensures that all foods being prepared in the work area are cooled to a safe temperature and stored under proper refrigeration, wrapped, and labeled
- Cleans and maintains all food preparation areas
- Assists with volunteers as requested by Packaging Kitchen Manager
- Provides training of volunteers on daily tasks
- Assists in receiving and properly storing food and staples
- From time to time, may be responsible for cooking, measuring, mixing, seasoning, thawing of frozen foods, preparation of raw foods and other ingredients, and following recipes.
- Experience with safety and food handling sanitation standards
- Skill in interpersonal relations for the effective communication with a multi-cultural population
- Skill in the effective use of English language to read and express ideas/facts orally
- Bilingual language ability (particularly Spanish) is helpful
- ServSafe Certificate is a plus, but is not required. May be required to take ServSafe and other food and occupational safety classes.
- High School Diploma and a Certificate in Culinary Arts or equivalent relevant work experience
- Minimum of 1 – 3 years’ experience as a Prep Cook in a high volume production establishment.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to cold, hot, wet or humid conditions (non-weather) and work near moving mechanical parts. The employee is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include Close vision and Peripheral vision. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear.