What kid doesn’t love tater tots? This is a veggie-packed version of this childhood favorite. Adults will like them too! Serve them as a side dish or as a game-day appetizer. This recipe also works with cauliflower.
2 cups or 12 ounces uncooked or frozen broccoli
1/4 cup diced yellow onion
1/2 cup cheddar or mozzarella cheese
2/3 cup panko breadcrumbs
1/3 cup flour (all purpose or whole wheat)
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning or oregano
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder or 1 clove fresh garlic, grated
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Grease a baking sheet with a thin layer of oil or line with parchment paper and set aside.
2. Blanch the broccoli in boiling water for 1 minute then remove and shock with cold tap water to stop the cooking process. Drain well.
3. Chop broccoli finely and mix thoroughly with the eggs onions, cheddar, breadcrumbs, flour, and seasoning. Scoop about 1.5 tablespoons of mix using a ice-cream scoop or your hands and gently press between your hands into a firm ball then shape into a tater-tot shape. It helps to wash your hands after every few tots to keep them from sticking onto your hands.
4. Place on your prepared baking sheet.
5. Bake until golden brown and crispy, 18-24 minutes, turning half way. Remove from the oven and enjoy hot with ketchup, ranch dressing, or your favorite dipping sauce!
This information is per serving.