Ingredients (serves 6)
Chilled Watermelon & Sweet Pepper Relish
- 2 cups small-diced red seedless watermelon
- 1 cup small, diced cucumber (skin on / no seeds)
- 1 cup small diced sweet red pepper
- 3 scallions (green & white part), each cut on the bias
- 1 tablespoon of the best honey you can find
- 1.5 tablespoons fresh-squeezed lime juice & zest
- 1 once of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon harissa paste (or fresh jalapeno minced)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoon roughly chopped mint
- 2 tablespoon roughly chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon roughly chopped parsley
- Kosher salt & fresh cracked black pepper to taste
Chermoula Sauce or Marinade
Makes 1 Cup (great as a marinade or as a dipping sauce)
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds (toast in dry pan moving regularly for 2 min.)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (toast in dry pan moving regularly for 2 min.)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon harissa paste (or fresh jalapeno)
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 cup cilantro
- 1 cup parsley
- 1/2 cup mint
For the Relish:
- Mix all ingredients & let sit in your refrigerator for 1-4hrs. Great served on its own or even better with a grilled protein.
For the Marinade:
- Add to blender and blend till smooth – refrigerate till ready to use. You can make the marinade 3 days in advance.
Marinating & Grilling the New York Strip Steak
(1/2 -1inch thick steaks)
- 1 tablespoon Chermoula per steak.
- Rub steak with marinade and let marinate for 30 minutes up to 1 hour.
- Before grilling, season steak with salt & fresh cracked black pepper.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat and place steak on the grill. Let cook for 3-5 minutes, depending on the thickness. Then flip the steak over and then move to hot spot-on grill. Follow same instructions till desired temperature bellow.
Using a thermometer… (let steak rest 3 -5 min before slicing)
- Medium rare: Approx. 3-5 minutes on both sides; Internal Temperature 130°.
- Medium: Approx. 5-7 minutes on both sides; Internal Temperature 140°.
- Medium well: Approx. 8-10 on both sides; Internal Temperature 150°.