Ingredients (serves 6)
1 Tablespoon olive oil
2 Sprigs fresh rosemary
8 Ounces Italian chicken sausage (sweet or hot) – if fresh sausage, remove from casings, if cooked sausage, cut into small pieces
1/4 Teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
1 (15.5 ounce) can no salt added cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1/4 Cup sherry vinegar
12 Ounces whole wheat rigatoni (or pasta of your choice)
8 Cups Swiss chard, thick stems removed and torn (about 1 large bunch)
1/4 Cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 Teaspoon black pepper
- Heat oil in a large, heavy pot over medium-high heat. Fry rosemary, turning until crisp, about 2 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Add chicken sausage to same pot and cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon and stirring occasionally, until browned and cooked through, 8-10 minutes. Transfer with a slotted spoon to a plate.
- Add beans to pot and cook, tossing occasionally and mashing some with the spoon until browned in spots, about 5 minutes. Transfer about half of beans to plate with sausage. Add vinegar to pot, bring to a boil, and cook until liquid is almost completely evaporated, about 2 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large pot of boiling water until almost done. Reserve 2 cups of pasta cooking water before draining.
- Transfer the drained pasta to the pot with the beans, and add the chard and 1 cup pasta cooking liquid. Cook, tossing often, until chard is wilted and sauce is thickened, about 4 minutes. Add another 1/4 cup pasta cooking liquid, then gradually add the Parmesan cheese, tossing until melted. Thin with more pasta cooking liquid if necessary.
- Season with pepper, and mix in the reserved sausage and beans.
- Divide pasta among bowls. Crumble fried rosemary over the top.