Gearing up for family barbecues, but trying not to eat overeat red meats? Try switching it up with these smoky tofu skewers on the grill! Marinating tofu with bold seasoning makes this healthy dish a surprising hit. You can alternatively cook the skewers in the oven ahead of time, and stack them neatly in a covered dish.
For the Chipotle Marinade:
2 tsp Mrs Dash Southwest Chipotle Seasoning blend
2 cloves garlic, peeled
2 Tbsp lime juice
1 tsp ground cumin 3 Tbsp olive oil or canola oil
1 tsp honey 1/2 tsp salt
For the Skewers:
14 oz extra firm tofu
1 green bell pepper, diced (about 1 inch pieces)
1 zucchini, diced (about 1 inch pieces) 1/2 red onion, diced (about 1 inch pieces) 1 cup pineapple chunks 1 Tbsp olive oil Pinch salt, if desired
12 wood or metal skewers
1) If baking the skewers, pre-heat oven to 425º F.
2) Unwrap the tofu and drain liquid. Wrap tofu with paper towels or cheesecloth, and place on a large plate with a heavy object on top, such as a skillet, for 20 minutes.
3) Combine all the ingredients for the marinade in a liquid measuring cup or ramekin. Stir until smooth.
4) After the tofu has drained, slice it into ½ inch thick pieces and then into 1 inch pieces.
5) Place tofu pieces in a large bowl and pour the marinade in. Let it soak for at least 30 minutes, turning over halfway through so that both sides can absorb the marinade.
6) Place the diced vegetables for the skewers in a bowl, drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil and toss to coat the veggies. Thread the skewers alternating vegetables, tofu, and pineapple chunks. Place skewers on large plate, or baking sheet if using oven. Drizzle the remaining marinade over the skewers and add a pinch of salt to taste.
7) Add skewers to the grill and cook on all sides for about 15-20 minutes. If cooking in the oven, place the baking sheet with the skewers in the oven for 15 minutes. Remove sheet and turn over the skewers, then cook for an additional 10 minutes.
This information is per serving.