Ingredients (serves 8)
- 2.25 lbs. Russet Potatoes
- 1.5 Cups Sifted AP Flour
- 1/2 Cup Parmigiano Cheese (Grated)
- 1/4 Tsp. Salt
- 1/4 Tsp. Ground Black Pepper
- 2 Medium Eggs
- Boil potatoes until tender.
- While hot, strain, peel, and put through the ricer.
- Set aside, let thoroughly cool (this can be done the day before).
- On a board, form a “mountain” with cooled riced potatoes.
- Add sifted flour, Parmigiano, salt & pepper.
- Make a hole at the top of the mountain and add the eggs into the hole.
- Working from the eggs out, begin mixing eggs with the potato until well blended.
- Cover with a slightly damp cloth or a bowl and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Roll dough into 2-foot-long rolls about the size of a quarter in diameter.
- Cut into ½ inch pieces.
- Delicately dust with flour and place into a plastic container (only one layer with plenty of room).
- Cover and freeze until ready to cook. (Once frozen, the gnocchi can be transferred into zip lock bags. The gnocchi can be kept frozen for up to one month.)
Bring 12 quarts of salted water to a rapid boil, add frozen gnocchi, cover, and cook until water returns to a boil. Uncover, cook for an additional 2 minutes OR until the gnocchi begins to float. Strain gnocchi, add your favorite sauce, serve immediately in a warm, shallow bowl.